- "UIG, a parish in the district of Lewis, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It comprises Uig and Carloway, with the islands of Vinavore, Big and Little Bernara, and Pabbay, besides many other islets in Loch Roag. It extends in length about 22.5 miles from N.E. to S.W., with an extreme breadth of 17.25 miles. The district of Uig proper is bounded on the N. by the Ocean and Carloway, on the E. by Stornoway, on the S. by Harris and Loch Reasort, and on the W. by the Atlantic Ocean. The surface chiefly consists of low, barren, heathy hills and flat moors, watered by numerous small lakes, the principal of which is Loch Langavat, 95 miles in length. The coast, which is about 60 miles in extent, is flat and indented with bays abounding in cod, ling, dog-fish, coal-fish, and lobsters, for which last it is much frequented by English vessels. The village of Uig stands on Uig Bay, between lochs Reasort and Shawbost. Many of the inhabitants of the neighbouring hamlets and villages are employed in the fisheries. In the vicinity is Calarnish Druid temple, consisting of a circle of 12 stones, 7 feet in height, and a centre one of 13 feet, with three exterior lines of 3 stones each, and to the N. a double line of 6 each for the entrance. Traces of a nunnery exist at Melista, and of a circular fort at Carlaway, with a wall of 30 feet in height. This parish is in the presbytery of Lewis and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about onehundred and fiftyeight pounds. The parish church was erected in 1829. There are two free churches, respectively situated at Uig and Carlaway. There are a parochial and five other schools."
Informant at death was son Peter Twatt.
Finstown Cemetery, Firth F/15;
In loving memory of ANNIE GILLIES, wife of THOMAS CHALMERS TWATT, who died 12th June 1958 aged 79 years and also the above THOMAS CHALMERS TWATT of Cruanbreck, Rendall who died 14th January 1968 aged 90 years, formerly of the Ha', Stronsay and Breck, Eday.